Campaigning for increased training and employment opportunities
We commend the Scottish Government for its continuing work to create sustainable employment opportunities for young people. This includes a commitment to cut youth unemployment by 40% by 2021 and to increase the number of Modern Apprenticeships on offer.
However, we remain concerned by the barriers facing many of those with ASN and care experience looking to enter training and employment.
This group of young people represent some of the most disadvantaged and marginalised members of our society. With lower levels of educational attainment than those not in this group, this impacts on training and employment opportunities.
By supporting these young people into training and employment not only does this benefit them, but employers gain their skills and commitment, with a positive impact on society and the economy.
Greater support into training and employment
There must also be greater assistance and encouragement, including specialist support, for employers who want to employ these young people, while also promoting the workplace benefits of doing this. To this end we successfully campaigned to expand Scotland’s Employer Recruitment Incentive (ERI), providing financial support to employers who recruit young people with disabilities and care experience into sustainable employment.
- Earlier transition planning – there must be earlier educational and employment transition planning for those with ASN and care experience, including prioritised and tailored career advice and work experience at school.
- Relaxing age restrictions – there must be a relaxation of the age restrictions of those with ASN and care experience entering vocational education and training as their transitions, on the whole, take longer.
- Greater financial support – there must be greater financial support to colleges and training providers to address the requirements of those with ASN and care experience, reflecting the additional costs of undertaking this.
- Increasing investment in training and employment – there must be greater investment in training and employment programmes benefitting those with ASN and care experience.
- Setting targets for Modern Apprenticeships – there must be an increase in the number of Modern Apprenticeship starts for those with ASN and care experience, with targets set, as well as providing the highest level of funding.